Have you ever thought about buying your own piece of paradise in some vacation destination? It may be easier than you think! Whether it’s a one bedroom cottage by a lake or a four bedroom ocean front island condo, it would Your Own Vacation Home that you can visit whenever you want. The truth is that most people don’t consider purchasing their own vacation getaway, they feel that that is something reserved for celebrities, the rich and famous or a least the upper class. However, once upon a time that may have been true but, the recession that this country faced just a few short years ago has made this a definitely possible for many people.
Prior to the recession real estate values had risen to an all time high, loans were fairly easy to obtain and the banks were often willing to loan more money than a property was worth. Then, the recession hit, jobs were lost, unemployment rose and the value of real estate plummeted and many people found themselves upside down on their loans. As a result many people were unable to afford their vacation homes and they were lost to the banks. Soon the banks were overloaded with properties and no buyers. A few years have since pasted and there are still plenty of vacation properties available for purchase and often for a terrific deal.
Methods for Owning Your Own Vacation Home
1. Look for vacation properties for sale by private owner. Many people bought vacation homes they couldn’t really afford with the intent of reselling them quickly for a nice profit. Instead, the bottom fell out of the housing market, homes quit selling and even though they were able to keep the home it’s caused them a financial hardship. These individuals are motivated to sell and quite often you can pick up your dream vacation home for a substantial savings.
2. Look for foreclosures and short sales. Banks and lending institutes are interested in money not real estate. But, over the last few years these lenders have been forced to foreclose on an abnormally high volume of homes, many of which were second homes or vacation homes. The banks need to turn their real estate holdings into cash, and I know of many individuals that were finally able to acquire a vacation home due to the small amount of money the bank was willing to accept.
3. Purchase your vacation home from a tax sale. Banks and lending institutes weren’t they only ones to acquire individuals vacation properties. During the recession many people simply didn’t have the money to pay the property tax on their vacation home. As a result, counties in states all across the country either imposed a tax lien against the delinquent property owners or acquired the deed to the property. Just like the banks, the county government has no use for real estate; they need cash to run the county. Periodically, the county will sell tax lien certificates or tax deeds in order to generate the money they require. Many individuals have been able to purchase their vacation home from a county held tax deed sale. I know of one person that purchased a condo on one of Georgia’s barrier islands at a tax deed sale. They were able to acquire of vacation condo in a beach resort for 60% below the original market value; this is a vacation home they would have been unable to afford otherwise.
The great recession we experienced a few years ago created both hardships and opportunities. A decade ago many believed the idea of owning their own vacation home was only a dream, however, with the events that have taken place over the past few years for many that dream has become a reality.
Quite often people choose a warm, sunny, beach destination for their vacation getaway. Instead, consider an alternative and set your sites on a winter wonderland vacation destination for your next travel adventure. I know the sounds of the ocean and warm beach are appealing to many individuals, but you owe it to yourself to experience a winter destination at least once. Think about it, skiing, snowboarding and ice skating and sipping a glass of wine (or your favorite beverage) around a roaring fire at the best ski resort in the United States, Taos Ski Valley located in the fantastic state of New Mexico.
Many individuals overlook the beauty of a winter vacation. For many, a winter destination paints the picture of gloomy skies, cold, snow and desolation. However, one visit to a Taos Ski Valley ski resort and I guarantee you’ll make this a vacation spot that you’ll return to time and time again. In addition to the 300 plus days of sun New Mexico receives each year, you’ll find breath taking views, friendly locals and many activities beyond skiing, snowboarding and ice skating. If you’re looking for a vacation that’s filled with excitement, great food and drink and plenty to keep you busy, you’ll find it in New Mexico.
Some of the resorts in this winter paradise offer full blown health and fitness centers. I’m not talking about some small room stuck in an out of the way spot in a building with a treadmill, stair climber and a few weights; I’m talking about a complete fitness center. If you need some down time to recharge your batteries, the centers in these resorts can provide what you need. Visit the spa for a much needed massage or relax with a yoga class or receive a long awaited beauty treatment in the salon. Often times these resorts will provide complimentary fitness training and nutrition classes with individually tailored one-on-one services. Here is a brief look at what you may find:
- Therapeutic baths – Image soaking in a relaxing salt water bath while the powerful jets of the spa massage you while you sit back and enjoy the view of a snow capped mountain.
- Facial services – Both men and women can benefit from restorative facials and skin care that is state of the art.
- Massage therapy – Enjoy an exotic massage, a hot stone therapy or possibly a Swedish massage.
- Body sculpting – revitalize your body some cellulite reducing body sculpting or a seaweed wrap.
- Beauty Treatments – Treat yourself to a manicure or pedicure and a new hair style in the salon.
- Benefit from customized personal training – Often provided are certified personal trainers that can help you to develop your custom workout routine through individualized instruction.
- Take part in a nutritional consultation – Attend a nutritional consultation seminar and workshop. Delve into your diet and lifestyle and discover what you can do to get on the road to better health. Normally these seminars cover far more than basic diet and exercise suggestions; learn about the vitamins or workout supplements you can take to receive more benefit from your workout routines.
If you don’t feel like pampering yourself at a health and fitness center and skiing or snowboarding doesn’t interest you, there are still plenty of things you can do in Taos. There are plenty of unique and interesting shops to visit or many wonderful restaurants to enjoy. Also many people enjoy a scenic walk, horseback riding, fishing, wildlife watching, and mountain biking or just sitting around a fire, relaxing and catching up on their reading. Yes, one visit to the winter wonderland of Taos Ski Valley and you’ll wonder why you didn’t make the trip years before.
Taking a vacation provides time for much needed relaxation and rest; it allows you to briefly set aside your daily responsibilities at home and in the office. It’s your time to travel and seek out new adventures. Vacations also create unforgettable memories that you can enjoy for a lifetime. A vacation is necessary to recharge your body, mind and soul. Whether you spend your vacation playing sports, socializing or reading quietly, research indicates that the more leisure time there is, the healthier you become and the better you feel.
Vacations Provide Health Benefits
Here’s a few ways you’ll benefit by taking a vacation:
- Helps to improve your physical health
- Aids in reducing stress
- Helps to improve your mental skills
- Strengthens family bonds
Experts agree that people who take their health seriously need to take their vacation time seriously. Research shows that men who take a vacation each year reduce their overall risk of dying by approximately 20 %, and the risk of dying from heart disease by up to 30 %. When your mind becomes overloaded it can produce undesirable effects on your body to help keep healthy, allot some time each day to allow your mind to do absolutely nothing.
Going on vacation can often be a source of stress itself, often people plan a vacation where every day is filled with many fast paced activities. In this situation, the vacation can be as stressful as the job you’re getting away from. Have you ever heard someone say they need a vacation to recoup from their vacation? I know it’s happened to me, I’ve felt less exhausted before I went on vacation.
It’s important to realize that a certain amount of time is required just being idle to enjoy a happy and contented life and relaxation is the best method for managing stress. Take a vacation to allow your mind and body to unwind and adjust to a slower pace. Whether you choose to sit on the beach and read a book or lay by the pool and enjoy a nap, it’s important to rest and allow your mind and body to unwind. To obtain the greatest health benefits from a vacation, it is important to do the least amount possible, and set time aside to rest both your mind and body. After all, the purpose for a vacation is to return feeling rejuvenated.
In addition to the health benefits you’ll receive, a vacation will provide you the chance to visit new places and discover new adventures. Some individuals may choose to travel abroad and explore a wonderful new country, while others may enjoy their vacations exploring the mountains. Often people take time off work and stay around home visiting friends and family or volunteering in their community. There are a many ways a vacation and time away from the office can be spent. What’s important is to select whatever works well for you and is best for your health. Remember, the goal is to relax, rest and recharge and forget about the stress of your daily life.